Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Laundry the easy way?


Anyone who has ever met me knows that I am one who is a time thrift.  I love to save it anyway I can.  I do all kinds of random things to save minutes, even seconds.  A few years ago I decided to stop folding my wash cloths into fourths.  At the time, I used two washed cloths a day to wash my face.  (Since then I started using Doves Noncomedogenic face wash. It's awesome if you haven't tried it.) So, that was my small attempt to save time.  Other ways I conserve is by pre sorting all my silverware before I put it in the dishwasher.  (I know, I am starting to sound anal retentive- but hang with me for a second.) I rinse the silverware off and set it on the counter above my dishwasher in piles.  Then when it's all clean I can just reach in, pull out the little sorter basket and hurl it into the correct slot in my silverware drawer. 

Now, why am I telling you all of this? Well, I have discovered a new way to cut my laundry time  down to ONE FOURTH of the time.  I have to warn you, it's not pretty and it's not conventional and your grandma would probably tell you I was a bad influence if she heard what I was about to tell you.  

So here it is: I stopped folding my laundry. 

Yes.  It's true.  I hang everything up that I don't want to be wrinkled and I fold the towels because they wont fit in the closet unless I do.  I match the socks up  and everything else I just place in their drawers.  Ha!  Am I crazy?  Perhaps!  Eccentric? Well sure- I'll give you that one! But with all that I have on my plate at this time- who has life to waste folding laundry?? So far I have tried it two weeks in a row and saved almost and hour and a half.  This is just an experiment so we will see if I keep it up- but I thought I would share my little secret with you; if for no other reason than for you to shake your head at me and have a good laugh.  

So tell me, I am all ears.  What is your way to squeeze more time out of life? What are your tips for productivity and time thriftiness? 

3 comments:

ashlee said...

lol...i do the same thing with my silverware! now i know why my kids dont fold their laundry...they are saving time as well...their dad will be thrilled to know this! i dont match socks though i just put them in a big basket and the kids have to hunt:) i have requested an additional dryer. i know it would cut my laundry time in half! i haven't received it yet...some day:)

christa Baca said...

Ashlee- that is awesome! I used to make my kid brother and sister have races to see who could match the most socks the fastest. I hope that you get your extra dryer! I am sure that you are always doing laundry with all of your awesome kido's!

Jennifer Linnebach said...

I don't fold my laundry either!! I think that hanging is much faster because it not only saves time in the folding department, but also, I can see everything easily when I hang them so it saves time in the morning too! I always hated having to rumage through my drawers to find the shirt I wanted to wear...